Saturday, September 10, 2011

Personal Record!

Another early start to my Saturday, this time for the Arcadia Elementary 5K road race. This was the reschedule date, as it was originally set for May 14, or 2 1/2 weeks after the infamous tornado.

As is my tradition, I was late to bed Friday night-- unwinding after going to see Prairie Home Companion. And as usual, I arrived at the race site about ten minutes before the start. A few cars parked behind me, so at least I wasn't last. And I got a few sprints in beforehand.

The course was very challenging-- a lot of uphill and downhill. Moreso than the Holt race last month, which was half downhill, half uphill. I started out very fast, wanting to get a good start. I looked at my watch and my initial pace was about 7:30, first half mile was 7:49. I felt like I redlined it more than at the Mayor's Cup race, as well. My best half mile was 7:24, worst was 8:05. I was also happy that I was able to keep m legs pumping on the uphills. I did steal a glance behind to see who might be back there, but there was nobody.

I managed to come through the chute at 23:08, which is a new 5K personal best, shattering the old PR of 23:52, set at the Crimson to Couch 5K last fall at UA. The card I filled out upon completion (as though I could write my name after a hard run) said I was #7 finisher, so I knew something was coming. Turned out this is what was on the way:

So I was very, very happy with the run and with the effort. I was going to bang out a few more miles (the race put me at 23 for the week), but the First Lady made a better offer-- suggesting we going out to breakfast.

Definitely a great start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment