Thursday, January 19, 2012

Intervals

Midweek runs typically feature tempo runs. Today, though, was interval day.

There were some things going on at the house, so I took off at 3:45 pm. It was different looking in the opposite direction for traffic, since it's headed toward work during my morning runs. And my fuel was an issue, since I thought I could rely on lunch to get me through. It did, but barely.

I ran nine miles, with 12 2:00 intervals at 7:45 pace, with a minute rest in between. I didn't really pay attention to the 7:45 pace-- I just ramped it up into the sevens when I needed to and held it throughout. Three miles were warmup and two miles on the back end to cool down.

I've learned that I can head north from the house and run good mileage in the neighborhood, as opposed to heading south toward the trail as was my custom. It's always nice to see what else is out there.

So now the hay is just about in the barn. I have an easy five-mile recovery effort set for tomorrow, then my last 20-miler Saturday before the taper begins. It's hard to believe, but this marathon is right around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment