Friday, October 12, 2012

Half Marathon

In 2008, I ran my first big race-- the Eisenhower Half Marathon in Abilene, Kansas. I felt like I worked hard to get ready for that race, and I did. One reason for that was I weighed nearly 200 pounds and it takes a lot of effort to lug a body that size down the road. The temperature was 20 degrees (F) on that first Saturday in April. the only fuel I took was the Sport Beans (still a fan) I bought specifically for race day. Didn't want anything to slow me down, after all. I finished in 2:02:44 on a flat course (9:24 pace).

Last week, I signed up to run the Huntsville Half Marathon in Huntsville, AL on Saturday, November 10. It'll be my second half, and I fully expect it to go a lot better.

I really feel like I'm in a great place training-wise, and that I can put a great number on the board. I've been at 25-30 miles per week for the last 2-3 months, having worked in half-mile and mile repeats for several weeks in a row. This past Monday, I ran a 10-mile time trial at 8:18 pace, so I am already confident. My coworker Ed (my unofficial coach) thinks I can run 8-minute miles. I'd be happy running 8:20 miles for a 1:49, but eight-minute miles mean I can get in under 1:45.

So I'm pretty excited. And I feel ready-- part of me wishes the race were tomorrow. It'll get here soon enough, and there's still work to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment