Monday, November 5, 2012

Hamstrung

I've run into a derailment in my half-marathon training. 

Nearly two weeks ago, I must have done something to my left glute/hamstring, causing about 2.5 worth of pain (on a 10 scale). I ran Friday the 26th, but it was an angry run, one where I couldn't get control of my mind. That may have been where it happened. 

I also ran the next day, and decided that waiting until Monday's long tempo run would be the elixir.

That was last Monday. I ran 12, but my legs felt sluggish from the very start, as though it took enormous effort to move from stride to stride. And the hammie thing was still there. Not enough to stop me, but enough to throttle back on pace. That and the sluggishness led to about an 8:20 pace, which is not what I'm looking for in Huntsville this Saturday. 

I ran a four-miler this morning, and the ache was still there, perhaps downgraded in intensity, but still noticeable. Not better, but certainly not worse. And it feels OK as I walk about the house afterward. 

I'll still ice and stretch and run easy a few more times before race day, but I may have to ease back on my goal of a 1:45 half. 1:50 looks like the target right now, but we'll see as the week moves on. It seems a little disappointing when it's compared to a 1:45 finish, but it looks awesome when I think of my 2:02:44 finish in April, 2008. 

No comments:

Post a Comment