Tuesday, January 3, 2017

1055

Last year I set a goal of running 90 miles each month. January and February set me behind, so it took me a little bit to get used to it and to understand the commitment level required. Otherwise I usually made it. The months I was north of the 90 I was far enough over goal to cover some of the months when I was short.

Starting 58 miles behind after two months put me far enough in the red to where I came up 25 miles short. 1,055 was the total mileage for the year. If I'd paid closer attention to the numbers, I'd have made it because who wants to miss a running goal by not running one more mile every other week? 

I'm starting to trend up again too. I had back and calf troubles last year that limited me to 684 miles. My annual record was in 2013 when I ran 1,183, followed by 2014's 1,072 miles that included the Publix Marathon in Atlanta. 

I just can't be disappointed by my effort in 2016 though. I ran in El Paso, across the Potomac River in Washington DC, and I met my goal of two runs on a recent trip. I've been over 20 weekly miles for eleven consecutive weeks (a standing short-term goal), and I set PRs at 5K and 8K distances. 

So it was a fantastic year. No complaints. 

This year I've raised the bar a little by making 95 miles per month the goal. Captain Math tells us that makes 1,140 for the year. I've even moved that very slightly to 1,150 as the mileage goal for 2017. I didn't do a lot of long runs last year which slowed me down, so by running longer on occasion and by staying aware of my short-term and long-term goals I should have no trouble. 

Monday was a holiday, so I went out for an 8 in the light Georgia rain, followed by today's four-miler before work.

2017 is off to a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment