Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Insert Title Here


            Regular followers of this space (and I can only think of one) know that I am not running very much these days. I am sorting out other mental and professional things. Running can be hard, and in ways that aren’t always physical. I read a lot about how physical exercise is the one thing you should do for yourself and how important it is to make time for it.

          If it were only that simple. But I have gotten out there a few times...

Pair of old Ravenna 5 shoes from Brooks. Put 'em on and
got in a quick three-miler
            Midwest weather has been largely what you’d expect for January, at least for the last few days. Last Saturday I ran to the Missouri border and back to the house, a little over three miles, and with some undulating terrain that included a 6% grade that reminded me of how out of shape I am. It was 60 degrees that Saturday afternoon, so there wasn’t really a choice involved. When it’s that nice go outside for your run, regardless of whether you have a treadmill in the basement.

            Earlier in the week, New Year’s afternoon, it was 20-something outside. Another great opportunity to put on my Mizuno Wave Inspire 14 shoes and crank out a few miles. I’ve always loved running in the cold—there’s nobody else out there and it just feels quieter even running on the sidewalk of a main throroughfare. I feed off the energy of thinking that passersby in cars are seeing me and thinking I’m crazy or dedicated. Or certifiable, you can be the judge. Regardless it was a good run that had another rise at the end, and also some of the best black-eyed peas and cornbread you’ll ever have when I came back inside.

            After that I didn’t run for a week, even with Astro waiting patiently in the basement. Until yesterday, that is, when I slid on (got them when I was still in my bungee lace phase) my royal blue Pearl Izumi N2 shoes and knocked out a quick three. The pacing is slower, since my weight is up. I’ve read and seen that each pound of weight you carry adds about two or three seconds per mile. Starting to believe it.

        Postscript: this unposted stuff is from two weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment