Thursday, November 24, 2011

Marathon Training

A few weeks ago, I signed up to run the Mercedes Marathon, February 12 in Birmingham.

There are several reasons why... I've been running nearly ten years and haven't aimed for a marathon, the boss at work is picking up half the registration cost, Birmingham is not an overnight trip, I've been running as well as ever, I can be accountable to my coworkers for my training runs, and I have the best and most supportive wife ever.

So I'm nearing my third week of my marathon training plan. I started by basing everything on heart rate, running easy runs, tempos, intervals and long runs at certain percentages of max HR. I'm now revising that by sprinkling in a little of Jack Daniels' training methods, and using heart rate a little more for my easy runs and follow mile pace for the others. My goal pace is 8:45 per mile, or a 3:50 marathon.

My longest run was a 13-miler last Saturday. This week is a lighter load week, 24 miles, and back up to 37 next week, with a 14-mile long run.

I feel great so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment