Monday, December 5, 2011

Four Weeks In

I've wrapped up four weeks of marathon training, in preparation for the Mercedes Marathon in Birmingham, February 12.

I really feel my training is going well. I've had weekly mileages of 33,35, 24 and 37, and this past Saturday's long run was a 14-miler (2:18) that felt great. I'm working on what works best in terms of fuel during the run. I ate a small bag of sport beans at four miles, and killed a 20-ounce bottle of Gatorade at 10 miles. This seemed to go well and to agree with me. I also brought half a Clif bar and took one bite with the drink, but it woke up my GI system and forced me into a little stop and go for the last four miles. So it's a work in progress.

My tempo runs have been five and six miles at the projected 8:45 pace, and I've done intervals to 175, which is near my new MHR of 180. I don't think I've ever run that fast or gulped air like that. Pace was right around 6:00.

I'm also idling back on heart rate training, using it only to make sure my easy runs are easy enough. I'm now using mile pace for tempo runs and intervals.

So it's really going well so far. This week is a 35-mile week, speed intervals are Wednesday, and a nine-mile tempo run is Saturday, with seven of the nine at 8:45 pace. Next long run is a 16-miler on Saturday the 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment