Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Day Before

The race is less than 12 hours away, and I'm pretty anxious about the race. Everything has been laid out for tomorrow morning's marathon. Carbs have been loaded, I've completed my training and I've never been in better shape. There is literally nothing to do but wait.


We stopped at the race expo a little before 11 today. I think the race capped at 1400, but the auditorium for packet pickup was pretty crowded. Part of it was because there was a kids 5K that had just wrapped up. So I grabbed my stuff, checked my timing chip and proceeded to case the joint. I was expecting to see a lot of bargains on socks and shirts and what not, and I did pick up a cotton race t-shirt (the shirt in the goody bag is a tech shirt), but didn't really find much of what I was looking for, so I put money back in my wallet.

I did see a few of the shoe reps that come to the store on occasion, and I was a little surprised that they remembered me as well.

So I've pretty much parked on the couch for rest since then. My biggest concern is the weather. After having such nice weather for training, the temperature is expected to be in the low 20s at start and low 30s at the finish. I'll dress in layers and peel away as needed. It won't be as cold as the half marathon I ran in Abilene, Kansas in April, 2006, but it'll be close.

I also find myself thinking. Thinking about all the kids that called me fat in school. About all the other things I could do if I set my mind to it. About people who can't run. About the math teacher in Montana who was killed on one of her morning runs. About friends who have it worse than me. Normally I would be in Sunday School and in church, but I've chosen to run tomorrow instead. I hope to spend some time pondering these things.

Well, off to bed. An early morning and a huge challenge are in front of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment