Friday, September 7, 2012

More Mile Repeats

Wednesday saw some of the hardest (non-race) running I've done in a while.

I ran 5 x 1600 repeats, again with 800 rest in between. After the first repeat, I wondered how I'd feel later on, since I felt the first 8:03 mile took something out of me. More than the first repeat should have.

All five repeats were within :03 of 8:00, so I was pleased with the splits, but it sure seemed like I had to work harder and harder to hit times as I went. I had a vanilla bean Gu after my third repeat, which was a big help. I made my fifth mile and had to walk a little bit, since my tank was just about empty. But I did it. The weather wasn't bad-- cloudy and low 70s.

Something I did notice on my fifth split was a slight twinge in my left hamstring. On the 1-10 pain scale, about a 1.5. It didn't stop me from doing anything at the store later that day, but I did notice it. The hammie got a few doses of ice that evening, and it felt better after a night's sleep. I think I'll rest it until Tuesday of next week, because there's a weekend trip to Las Vegas coming up. I really want to pack my Adrenalines, but logistics sort of prevent it. It's better to rest, anyway.

This little ding doesn't feel like much. It's 36+ hours after the run, and it's felt better over time. I'm not too concerned. But a little down time won't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment