Friday, August 31, 2012

Professional Runner!

Been a pretty solid week of running... Did an extra five Monday night, then 4x1600 (with 800 rest) Wednesday as part of a seven-miler. Mile times were 8:04, 8:09, 8:10, and 8:00. I'm happy with those splits. 23 miles this week, with another four set for tomorrow before my 9 am shift at the running store.

Saturday also makes two weeks since I won the Masters division at the Nucor-Holt 5K. This was the race I circled on my calendar. I was healthy going into this race, I was motivated and I was ready, since a guy got my age group trophy in 2011. I'd hoped to beat last year's time of 27:45, when a guy (who was walking) passed me in the last 200. I also thought about a PR, bettering my 23:08 at Arcadia last year.

Thunderstorms came through about 5:45 that morning, so temps were cool, unlike last year's hot and sticky conditions. The race was even delayed because of lightning.

The course is downhill for the first mile, split was 7:17. The second mile levels off and takes you past the steel plant and gives you time to think about the agony that's on its way. Second mile was 7:09. I felt like things were going well, but I was only paying attention to my race, what I was doing, and who was around me.

The third mile is everything it's been advertised to be. Maybe the hardest mile in town-- solid uphill, with a few brief plateaus mixed in. I managed to pass good friend and coworker Mike (he of the 100-mile madness) on the first incline, and just kept on going. And going. And going. It was some of the hardest running I've done, and my heart rate even peaked at 190, which probably isn't the best thing. I spent a lot on this mile, and was breathing very hard.

I got to the crest of the last hill and came up on the last straightaway, where I lost my trophy last year, and saw that I had a chance to get in under 23 minutes. But given how hard I worked, I didn't have a closing sprint in me. My Garmin said 23:08 as I crossed the line, and someone handed me a finisher's card with a 9 on it. Wow. I knew I'd run well, but didn't really know how well until my card went up as 40+ champion!

I had to get home, cleaned up and get to work, so I couldn't stay for the awards. My coworker Ed brought my race swag to the store later on in the morning..


This is by far the biggest Shiny Metal Object I've ever won. What's more, winning the Masters division brought a $50 prize. Plus, the official time was 23:07, beating my time last year by over four minutes, so I set a personal best at the hardest course in town. Short of the marathon in February, I don't know if I've ever felt more satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment