Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Easy Week

My left calf is feeling a lot better, but this is still a week of easier running. I'll hit the treadmill tomorrow afternoon, then hit the road Friday and Saturday mornings. Likely three five-milers.

This is the same left calf that acted up about seven years ago, when I lived in Kansas. I was training for the White Rock Half Marathon in Dallas, and even had a snazzy training plan drawn up by the cross country coach I met through work. I fell behind on my training plan and tried to check off every run on the plan, and I felt a jolt of electricity shoot into my calf one Monday afternoon at the start of a nine-mile long run. It healed, but it's one of the first things that go wrong when I overtrain.

I did ramp up mileage too quickly after my break, and my calf told me so. It's not too big a thing to me, since there is no big race on the horizon. The Mayor's Cup 5K is in six weeks, and I'll work to set another PR on what should be a flatter course. Spending time as a volunteer on the course really whetted my appetite for another half or full marathon, but the calendar is a little thin for now unless I want to travel.

So there really isn't a reason to go too far. The 'too fast' is something we'll get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment