Monday, July 29, 2013

Running Group

I've never been part of a regular running group. Whether it's because of where I live, my work schedule, or just not having early-morning motivation, a weekly appointment has just not been my thing.

That's about to change.

I attended a 7:30 group run back on Saturday, put on by the Athens Road Runners. Having relocated nearly two weeks ago, and being a serious introvert, I'm eager to meet people and find things to do. I love the running friends I met in Tuscaloosa, but Athens has a much more vibrant running community-- as evidenced by the 20 or so runners who showed up in late July for a Saturday six-miler. In Tuscaloosa, I made Wednesday afternoon trails for a while, but work didn't always allow it, and when my job changed, it became impossible. That was the only group run on the schedule, Wednesday was the only time to run with others. I remember being the only guy to show up at the running store (the one I would later work at) dressed out for a 5:30 run on an August Wednesday. They looked at me funny. But I looked on the web and saw it on the schedule, so I showed up.

Not so with ARR. This group has about 220 members, and features daily group runs. If it's on the schedule, it sounds like it's gonna happen. Some in the morning, some in the evening. I'm more interested in early-morning runs so as to get it done and get on with the day, so Saturdays seem like the play for now.

It was a good run-- the people I ran with were welcoming, and seem to be really nice. And no downtown traffic. Yet. This is a college town, and that will change. There was even coffee and a delicious apple/oatmeal bar at the end of the run. Yum.

I feel this will help me socially, as well as making me accountable to others, plus getting me ready for October, which could well feature a half and full marathon back to back.


3 comments:

  1. Keep the posts coming, Joe! I'm enjoying the read.

    Where are you running the back-to-back half & full?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chelsie! Great to hear from you!

    The half is in Athens, October 20 and the Battlefield Marathon is November 9th.

    The original plan was to only run Atlanta on October 27th, but the half ends at the football stadium in Athens, and they put you on the Jumbotron. I can't pass up a chance like that. Just hope my legs don't fall off.

    ReplyDelete