Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Lads

I’ve mentioned once or twice that I worked at a retail running store for nearly two years. I obviously had the least seniority when I started (not like it meant anything), and I was the senior man when I left. However, if you include plant life, I was only second on the totem pole.

Meet Bernard (left) and Meb.



These two dudes, named after Bernard Lagat and Meb Keflezighi, were originally one peace lily plant (Bernard is the original, Meb is an offshoot) that held down a spot near the front of the store. It was a sort of housewarming gift from the folks who ran the outdoor mall. Kind of a 'welcome to the neighborhood' sort of thing.

Anyhow, it made its way through the first couple of years until I showed up, by which time it seemed to need a little help. We’re runners (most of us) not horticulturists, so we water the plant about once a week, but it doesn’t seem to improve. Turns out the plant was getting too big for its pot, was getting watered too much, and had no drainage.

I was the only one with any sort of attachment, so I took Bernard (I had named him by this point) home for a week or so of camp. We repotted him, gave him some new soil, and a spot next to a window where some Alabama sun could get in but not beat down on him. I don’t have any ‘before’ pictures, but a week made a difference and we took him back to the store.

It was about this time that there was a gnat outbreak at the store, and Bernard got the blame, freeing me to take home and keep the senior-most employee. We then took our hero and separated him (Meb was born) and put the second plant into a new pot. There was still much trimming of old/dead leaves and stems, and Meb seemed to respond more quickly than Bernard. Ironic, since Meb is a marathoner and Bernard is a 1500 meter guy. I am pleased to report, though, that both peace lilies seem to be healthy and growing. They even seem to be back to normal, following our relocation to Georgia.


It’s pretty corny, I know, but I’ve grown attached to these guys and am glad we were able to rescue them. It’s been a treat to watch their rehab go so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment