Monday, September 9, 2013

Pace Group

I managed to cut myself off Friday night, in order to make it to 7:00 am running group Saturday (it was nice to learn I wasn't the only one who has this issue). The run was a gameday six-miler through the University of Georgia campus, where folks were already tailgating for a 4:30 kickoff against South Carolina. I was one of 36 people that met in the parking lot, though as previously mentioned, there were lots more folks getting a run in before the first home game of the season. The weather even felt a bit like football weather-- sunny, gorgeous, and mid 60s at that hour, but still Southern hot and sticky by game time.

I also agreed to lead the 9:00 pace group, for those getting ready to run the Athens half marathon next month. I typically run at about this speed, so it was no trouble at all. It turned out I was one of about four at this pace. I really wanted to hold pace and I did for the first 3+ miles, but then the uphills caught up to me, and I averaged out at about 9:15. Helpful that nobody caught me, but there's still work to do.

It was amazing to see people already out tailgating. Hard to blame them, since it's the first home game of the season, a hated foe was in town, and the Dogs are supposed to be pretty good this year. Dozens of tents were set up (likely from the night before), not all of them were manned, and there didn't seem to be a lot of grilling yet. We also saw band/spirit squad types heading to their assigned places. Our route even took us past Sanford Stadium, empty and lifeless at the time, but soon to be filled with excitement. There was such an amazing vibe on campus.

The only negative is that I could smell food toward the end, since we passed Thai and pizza places on our way in. This was unfair, but not as bad as in Tuscaloosa, when my route regularly took me past a barbecue joint.

And as always, the coffee was free afterwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment