Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Athens Half

I've signed up for the October 20 half marathon in Athens, where I live. It figures to be a good course, likely more than last year's Huntsville route, which was very flat and fast. This will be my first race since moving to town. I don't expect to PR, mainly because of the terrain, but I plan to get out there and see what kind of number I can put up, likely around 1:50. Plus, there will be an after party at the coffee shop where we meet after our Saturday morning runs.

I don't have a training plan I adhere to, but I've typically been in the low 30s per week while adding a little tempo work and some 800 repeats, so I feel ready for the big race. I've started working retail again, so maintaining mileage while keeping an irregular work schedule will require effort.

Something else I've learned is that the Saturday gatherings have helped fill a void for me. The wife and I used to play Thursday night trivia with our friends in Tuscaloosa, and it grew to be a really big thing for us to see them every week. This running group has that vibe for me. I like getting out there and being accountable, talking to and meeting folks, being pulled along by the pack a little, and oh yeah, getting a good workout in.



No comments:

Post a Comment