Friday, October 18, 2013

Running Snob and AthHalf

Right before noon today, I went out on what will probably be my last run before Sunday's Athens Half Marathon. It was an easy four-miler, at 9:14 pace, with an average HR of 135. I liked this run, mainly because the purpose was just to get the wheels moving a little bit and to not worry about much right before a race.

This brings me to a few running brain thoughts I have. My thought is that I haven't 'run' unless I've expended effort or worked up a good sweat. Maybe done some 800s or charged up an incline or two (don't know if they're really hills, in the golf subdivision where I run). Most of my daily runs these days are six-milers and up. Mondays, I double up, running a 10 in the morning and bagging another five (and a beer) with my evening running group. I know it's important to do long, slow distance, but I don't feel like a runner, internally, unless my legs have that energized feeling about them the rest of the day. This morning's run didn't give me that feeling, though I'm sure the folks who saw me think I'm a runner. Bagging 15 in a day and running twice definitely charges me up, and gives me no qualms about taking Tuesday as a rest day.

Also, the same theory as it pertains to mileage. I don't feel good about my running unless my weekly mileage is at a certain level. These days, it's the low 30s per week. Like something's missing if I skip a day and only get to 25. It gives me a feeling that I'm not doing the best I can for my body, even though 25 is a decent number.

I know I have nothing to complain about. I've run a lot, and have been healthy for a long while now, and I always look forward to my group runs and post-game banter.

Meanwhile...

I feel like I'm ready for the half on Sunday, which is a 7:30 start. The terrain here is different than it is in Huntsville, so I'm not aiming at getting in under 1:45. My plan is to go out in the first 2-3 miles at 8:40, then gradually put the hammer down and hopefully break 1:50. A nice thing about relocation is that it allows me to set new baselines at each distance.


No comments:

Post a Comment