Friday, January 23, 2015

This week

Not a lot of running happening this week, but what I've done has been pretty good.

I started out on MLK Monday wanting to check out the Ramsey Center on the UGA campus, since I could park for free because of the holiday. Getting a workout after class during the week, especially on Friday, would be very convenient. However, I would have to pay to park if I arrived before 4 pm. To use a fitness center I'm already paying for. Thanks guys.

Anyhow, if there's a treadmill in the place, I couldn't find it. It is an impressive place, though. It's where the Swim Dawgs swim and dive, and in another part of the complex is the court where the Volley Dawgs play.

I would up getting a five-miler in on the eight-laps-to-a-mile indoor track. There wasn't a big crowd at this point, so traffic was OK. This was probably the easiest five I've ever run-- no inclines, no hills, no weather. My 1/8 splits, courtesy of the clocks at the pool next door, were right around a minute, then closer to 57-58. Wound up right at 41:00. Later on in the day, when your legs are energized and you remember what a good thing you did earlier, I could barely tell that I ran. I did do a little core work, and I guess the 8:12 pace helped with turnover, but I didn't feel like it took much effort.

My second run of the week came after class Wednesday, and after walking Beasley (the official dog of Team Woodrow Racing). Temps were right around 60, so it was short sleeves and shorts (the week of weather had been pretty nice until today). It was five-mile time trial day, and I was very happy with this effort. Since I started back after my back injury, I'd had trouble getting through one 1.5 mile loop under 13:00. This time, all three loops were under 12:30-- 12:25, 11:59, and 11:56. So I was pleased with the times and with the work I did. 40:53 all together.

So now all the hay is in the barn for tomorrow's Chilly Dawg 5K. Supposed to be chilly and wet, though the rain should have stopped before the 9 am start. It won't be cloudy and mid-teens at the start like last year, thankfully. I won the 40-44 age group last year, but who knows what the crowd will be like. I feel like I can put up a time in the 22-minute area, and I'd like to sneak in under 22 if it's possible. I'm not really sure what to expect, since my weekly mileage is down.

I'm just eager to get back out there, see my running friends and compete against myself to see what I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment