Wednesday, September 7, 2016

As a Runner and Pet Owner...

I'll try hard to not make this sound like a rant.

About four years ago, I got bitten on the right calf by a dog while on a run. It ran across its entire yard to track me down-- maybe 70 feet or so. It wasn't on a leash, and didn't seem to care that I kept running away from it.

I know I'm not the only runner with a dog bite story, but that one time makes me a little skittish whenever I see dogs without a leash in the front yard. It doesn't happen every day, or even every month. But it happens often enough. This post is about another one of those times.

I went out in my neighborhood for my run around 8:45 this morning-- pretty nice out there this time of day now as the overnight low temp has dropped into the upper 60s, and the sun isn't above the tree line yet. Perfect running weather.

I do my part for safety-- I don't listen to music or podcasts, I run against traffic, and I wave at all the drivers who move to the other lane to help. About a mile and a half in I saw a chocolate lab come running toward me from about the same distance. Turned out to be friendly enough, but when a dog is coming at me, I think the worst because it's already happened once. I don't continue, I stop running. All the dog wanted to do was jump on me and be friendly. I have no idea what it wants to do.

The dog's owner, on the other hand, couldn't be bothered. He took a leisurely walk over to get his dog and head back. He didn't see a problem. I called him out for not controlling his pet, but he didn't think he'd done anything wrong. I told him that's because he's not a runner and doesn't understand. It got pretty animated there for a minute or two but not heated. It didn't matter to him as he kept brushing me aside. I don't think he ever cared what I said or tried to have any sort of perspective.

But as a runner, what am I supposed to think? Shouldn't I be prepared for the worst? I can't keep going because that's how I was bitten.

Now I am a dog owner-- a 18-pound Random Terrier who is currently camped out on his favorite chair. My wife and I work hard to be responsible pet owners. When we are in the front yard, he is always, *always* on a leash, and we pick up his dog poop when we go for his walk. Every time.

I don't know what has me more frustrated-- that the guy's dog wasn't leashed, that he totally couldn't be bothered, or that I couldn't make him understand someone else's point of view.

So on behalf of runners and walkers everywhere, please take the few extra seconds to leash your dog. We don't know how it'll react to seeing us. All we want is to get on with our day-- we've got things to do as well.

Moving on... trying to, anyhow.

I blew my 90-mile a month goal out of the water in August by running 110 miles. I've set that goal every month but I haven't reached it every time, so this will help cover a few months when I fell way short. Due to a vacation in scenic Asheville I'm off to a slow start in September but I have no worries that I'll get it done.

1 comment:

  1. Being a hiker in the mountains of northern NM, we have a lot of different folks who use our trails: hikers, runners, bicyclists, horseback riders, etc.. And you never know how a dog will react to a bike or to a horse or person will react to a dog. So I know what you are talking about. WE have had a lot of online conversations about leashed dogs and/or dogs being well trained to voice command. It is hard to know how to react when you see a dog coming running at you down a trail. At least I am not running "from" them. Sorry you got bit!

    ReplyDelete