Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Loss

There was a death in our community Monday evening. Ashley was out on a group bicycle ride in a pack of three at the time, single file, when the driver of an SUV crossed the center line and hit all three of them. Ashley was pronounced dead at the scene. She was 25, a graduate student at the University of Georgia, and a member of the running/fitness community in town. The two other riders were also injured, one seriously.

Police said the cyclists were doing everything correctly. They also said the driver admitted to looking down at her cell phone, exhibiting signs of impairment, and during questioning made statements indicating drug usage. She's been charged with a bunch of stuff, including first-degree homicide by vehicle.

I started to see reports of this accident on my Facebook feed yesterday. I was sad more because my running friends (people who knew her) were sad. Today I saw more news reports and I saw Ashley's face, and I began to understand the sorrow.

Because then it hit me. I knew who she was. Ashley was a regular at the running shop where I work. Every now and then I would be there and scan her key fob in as she checked in for another Monday evening group run. We'd talk a bit, but not a lot. Our local running club has Wednesday 5:30 am speed sessions, and today lane one was left open for the first drill to honor her.

Ashley's Facebook has already been turned into a memorial page. I can't comment or like anything, because I wasn't her friend. I get that part of it but in scrolling through what others had to say, I'm heartbroken for my friends and for others, and disappointed in myself for not making more of an effort to get to know a remarkable person. Her brother is just crushed by this loss. Here is a snippet of his post to his late sister's page:

"All of us who had the pleasure of knowing Ashley owe it to her to make the world better in her name. In the wake of this tragedy many people have offered to help in some fashion, my personal wish as her brother is right here. Make the world the kind of place Ashley knew it could be."

Anger and hatred won't bring Ashley back. Her brother also suggests sharing a laugh, saying hi to a stranger, or taking the stairs instead of the elevator.  

And for God's sake, put down your cell phone if you're driving. This is the kind of pain that's caused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment