Monday, October 3, 2011

New cycle

I relaxed a little last week, which was the fourth week of a training cycle. I try to ease up on my mileage. My last heavy week was 26 miles, so the goal was 18 or 19, or roughly 2/3 of the previous week.

I only made it to 13 miles, and I'm not feeling badly about it. I could've reached the goal, but a few things came up and I chose not to. I think it's important to not get too wrapped up in getting all my runs in, as I think it becomes a little unhealthy to get too wrapped up in 'the streak.'

I compare it to going to church. My wife and I really enjoy worshiping every Sunday. Every Sunday. We don't even ask what we're doing Sundays, we just go. But sometimes I like to skip a week (preachy moment approaching), because I want to make sure I'm focusing in the right direction.

So for similar reasons, I don't mind skipping a run.

I ran a five this morning, my first outing since Thursday, and it sure felt like it. I went with tights underneath wind pants and a t-shirt, as some cooler temps are here. Right around 50 degrees as I took off this morning. It's nice that I can be a little more leisurely, instead of worrying about the mercury skyrocketing as soon as the sun rises.

28 is the goal for the week-- interval work 6 Wednesday and nine miles is on the agenda for long run Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment