Friday, August 24, 2012

One to Grow On

So here's my latest "on again" blog phase. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

My running has been pretty solid of late, with the exception of last week, when I kind of lost my mojo a bit.

A few weeks ago, the First Lady and I drove to Kansas City to see a family member get married. I won't bore you with details of the trip, which included driving 800 miles home in 13 hours to make a shift at work (long story).

I always make it a point to bring running shoes on these excursions, and this was no exception-- I'd set a goal of four runs for a six-day trip. I brought my Brooks Adrenaline 12s and My Pearl Izumi IsoShift shoes. My first run was in the KC metro area, and we managed to catch a break weatherwise, as the temps were in the 60s for my 7:15 run. I found a nice path similar to my local one, and banged out a five-miler at 8:50 pace. I also noticed something strange in the air-- or, not in the air. The humidity was way down-- it was dry outside. Probably has something to do with 1000 ft altitude. I'm used to walking outside into air so moist you can cut it with a knife, but this was way different, in a good way. Terrain was road/residential and not much about hills.

The second excursion was the same neighborhood, two days later. I pushed my luck, taking off at 9:15 to run a 6.5. Average pace was 8:49, and the only thing I forgot on this trip was my heart rate monitor, so no info there.

I only managed to get halfway to the goal of four runs, but I was happy to make the two.

More to follow-- including new kicks, more socks, and a new personal best!

No comments:

Post a Comment