Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Born to Run

A few weeks ago, I finished reading Born to Run, by Christopher McDougall. I had to return it to the library and check it out again a few weeks later to get the job done. Nice knowing I'm not the only one who wanted to check it out.

I think most of you know the basic premise of the book-- McDougall wants to run without pain in his foot. He comes across the Tarahumara Indians and learns they can run seemingly forever without injury in sandals. So he heads down to the dangerous Copper Canyons of Mexico on the field trip of a lifetime. I won't bore you with plot lines and connective tissue, but I'll share my thoughts on an excellent read.

For the record, I haven't tried minimalist/barefoot running-- no need. I have been blessed with outstanding health the last several years, with my last big ding being a pulled calf muscle about seven years ago. The standard shoes I wear, stability then and neutral shoes now, have not caused injury. I am not a hard heel striker, but the one thing I have done is pay attention to my per-minute stride count, which has stayed right around 176 for the last several years. This seems to have me making first contact right around the heel-midfoot area, without problem.

McDougall does an excellent job of painting a picture throughout the book. Whether I'm in the Copper Canyons with Caballo Blanco, in the bus on the way south, racing in Colorado, or partying in El Paso (my hometown, though I could've found them something better than a hotel bar), I felt like I was in the moment with these people. Even during the big race, I was just as thirsty as they were. I could see the sunshine and feel the chill of the Copper Canyons when they went out for early-morning runs.

The book also gets into the reasons of why man has been running for thousands of years, and why our bodies look the way they do. Fascinating discussion.

I particularly enjoyed the tail end of the big race. Serious effort has been spent, and now there is a serious after party. Sitting in the background, cold beer in his hand and with a feeling of satisfaction on his shoulders, Caballo sits and surveys his creation. This is what happened when he hoofed it into town every once in a while to use the spotty dial-up Internet to generate interest in his idea. Some of the greatest runners on the planet ran an insane course and are now sharing the experience.

This is the brother/sisterhood vibe I get amongst fellow runners-- the common enemy and experience bonds us and brings us together. It's what I feel in the coffee shop and in the parking lot before and after my group runs. Sometimes we talk about the run or running, other times it's about the Georgia game, or whatever. It's such a feeling of unity, and it's no small part of why I head out there myself.

Born to Run is definitely worth your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment