Saturday, December 31, 2011

18-miler

2011 closes on a high note-- I'm running as well as I ever have as marathon training continues. Eight weeks of no missed workouts (though that will change very soon, as previously noted), including today's 18-mile run that brings me to a weekly total of 42. Both numbers are all-time highs.

Mid-30s temperature-wise for the 7:45 start in my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 shoes. Very little beer last night, so that was of no concern. I found the hardest part to be mental. I knew I could do the run, but that this is what I'd be doing the next three hours of my life. The time investment, as opposed to the actual mileage.

So the first few miles kinda dragged on, knowing how many more were still to go. I didn't go out hard, intending to use these miles to warm up and prepare for holding an 8:45 pace for nine miles. This first stage was six miles around my neighborhood so I could swing by the house to fuel up (Gu-type substance and 16 oz Gatorade) and shed some warm-weather clothing.

Phase two was an out and back, six miles in each direction. It took a little bit to achieve cruising speed, but once I got there, I held 8:25-8:40 pace for 9.5 miles. I don't really think through problems or generate ideas-- I just watch the miles go by and crunch the numbers my Garmin spits up. There was one fuel stop at six miles here, also.

After about 14 miles, my feet began to hurt. Just good old-fashioned been-on-your-feet-too-long soreness. This wasn't in the original plan, but it does make sense after each foot pounds the earth over 26,000 times. Then I freaked a little, thinking I'd get to 18 and not be really close to home. This went away quickly, since I deliberately did the six out and six back to prevent this. And with 1.5 to go, my legs started to ache. There wasn't really anything else to do, and to run was the only thing I could think of, so that's what I did.

I've spent the rest of the day off my feet, but unable to sleep. It'll be interesting to see if I make it to midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment