Sunday, March 25, 2012

104.8

It's been nearly two weeks since my last run, as my right foot is still on the mend. It's feeling better a little bit at a time, but I think I'm gonna give it until at least Wednesday before I go for a spin.

That would make it two weeks since my last run, and I guess I do miss the endorphins and knowing I've done something good for my body. I'm not training for anything, but time not spent running gets spent differently, usually poorly. So running takes a little longer, but helps me manage time a tiny bit better.

So, on to Mike's outstanding effort from Friday and Saturday. He really ran well, and made it to 100 miles about 7:15 a.m. Saturday, about 22 hours into the event. He achieved his goal of four full marathons, which is the 104.8. He started out doing 10-minute miles, which (strangely) is too fast for something like this. I stopped by about 3:00 that afternoon to check things out, and his pace was closer to 13:00 per mile.

My actual work shift was the overnight 10-6 time frame. There wasn't a whole lot to do, since there were strangely fewer customers at that hour. So I drank coffee, ate some pizza, and stayed awake. Many coworkers stayed the whole time, and two of my bosses (nice folks) stayed the whole time and were basically out on their feet. Mike had DVDs playing much of the evening once basketball ended. We watched one of the Steve Prefontaine bios (don't remember which one) and also one about the annual Hood to Coast relay in Oregon, which I enjoyed.

I didn't really mind the shift-- I was far from the hardest worker there that night, but I was (still am) proud to have played a small part in something that will do so much to help others.

Last I heard, the event raised over $12,000, which was a midafternoon number. I think it'll be a while before the final total comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment