Saturday, July 30, 2011

Long Run Saturday

I got an early (for me) start this morning-- 7:30 for an eight-miler. I was just outside the door and walking toward the street when a gentleman in a beat-up blue pickup truck asked if he could run with me for a while. I was taken aback, but I had no reason to say no.

It turns out he is my neighbor two doors down, whose wife I met a few months ago at a volunteer event. Phil and I ran about five miles together, at about 9:40 pace, talking about where we've been, wives, kids, grandkids, work and the like. This was all new for me-- I'd never had a running partner. Great conversation, and a new friend, as well.

Turns out Phil was the smart one when he turned for home. Late July in Alabama is brutal, and the sun just stares down at you relentlessly, even at that hour. Most of the rest of my run didn't involve shade, so there were several walk breaks. I finished the job though, even if my pace slowed to about 10:30 for the last few miles.

I had my 32-ounce water bottle, half Gatorade, half water, which was absolutely clutch. I'm starting to get used to having a water bottle on longer runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment